Saw 2 documentaries..both pertaining to Education.. First Generation and Education Under Fire.
US has a weird law by which a baby born in the US gets an US citizenship.. no questions asked. I personally know 2 "lucky" cases of my friends born in the US. Indian University marks-wise, and GRE score wise we were at par, but they could make it to the top 10 Universities (and I dint) thanks to the free feather in their caps called US citizenship. I also know of two other friends, who "chose" to deliver their "lucky babies" in the US. Naturally, I took the documentary First Generation with a pinch of salt.
Also, I just cant grasp the portrayed American poverty. A girl in the "First Generation" claims that she chose the neighbourhood community college over a University because of the 50$ application fee. Point to be noted: The girl had recently bought a car, and was paying for the car EMI + gas + insurance. I find this "i dint have money to apply" bleating really lame coming from someone who can afford a piece of luxury!
Education Under Fire deals with a much starker reality. Iranian students belonging to the Baha'i religion are denied education in Iran. The Baha'i Institute tried home-schooling the kids. But members of the Institute were arrested and the teaching material confiscated. In the post-documentary panel discussion, my friend Sasa suggested turning to Internet for online tutorials etc. as a virtual tutor.
Education is a human right. Some are not able to achieve it due to ignorance about the financial aid and scholarships available to them (First Generation). The simple solution is a career session maybe, and more career counsellors at the High school. But being denied education altogether is a crime! The concept of having a global pen-pal is long outdated, but in cases like this, could we share our educational resources and our scholastic experience to convey our solidarity and support?
US has a weird law by which a baby born in the US gets an US citizenship.. no questions asked. I personally know 2 "lucky" cases of my friends born in the US. Indian University marks-wise, and GRE score wise we were at par, but they could make it to the top 10 Universities (and I dint) thanks to the free feather in their caps called US citizenship. I also know of two other friends, who "chose" to deliver their "lucky babies" in the US. Naturally, I took the documentary First Generation with a pinch of salt.
Also, I just cant grasp the portrayed American poverty. A girl in the "First Generation" claims that she chose the neighbourhood community college over a University because of the 50$ application fee. Point to be noted: The girl had recently bought a car, and was paying for the car EMI + gas + insurance. I find this "i dint have money to apply" bleating really lame coming from someone who can afford a piece of luxury!
Education Under Fire deals with a much starker reality. Iranian students belonging to the Baha'i religion are denied education in Iran. The Baha'i Institute tried home-schooling the kids. But members of the Institute were arrested and the teaching material confiscated. In the post-documentary panel discussion, my friend Sasa suggested turning to Internet for online tutorials etc. as a virtual tutor.
Education is a human right. Some are not able to achieve it due to ignorance about the financial aid and scholarships available to them (First Generation). The simple solution is a career session maybe, and more career counsellors at the High school. But being denied education altogether is a crime! The concept of having a global pen-pal is long outdated, but in cases like this, could we share our educational resources and our scholastic experience to convey our solidarity and support?
No comments:
Post a Comment