The newly-elected premier of the country I currently stay in proudly claims to have groped women. While approximately half of the said country's population comprises of females (no sex-selection here) I wonder how the premier got through in the first place. Unfortunately, abuse is so deeply ingrained and internalized in our society that sometimes we can be blind to glaring abuse. Here are some of the pearls recently heard/ experienced.
I saw a meme on Facebook that says: Kids take girls out on dates, men take women out on coffee. Legends say: Bai vadyavar ya. Aka legends "invite" women in their playroom. The meme was complete with the photo of a person who regularly portrays villainous roles in Marathi movies. There were several likes and shares on the meme, and somehow nobody paused to think about the sexually abusive overtones of the meme.
"Girls flirt with the guys in their team and that's how they get their workshop tasks done in the first year of Engineering." - Classmate at University of Florida. When I told him I studied in an all-girls college, he concluded that we must be flirting with the workshop assistants.
"These days (insert the name of some MNC here) is doing a lot of diversity hires. You should get in easily." - Friend
"All women are horrible coders. If you feel women are equally good, yet get paid lesser than their male counterparts, then why is there no company who hires only women coders, save on salaries, and still be successful." - Friend, whose wife did her Masters in one of the top 5 Universities for Computer Science in USA.
"But (insert the name of my male colleague here), had already gotten this to work, why are you still working on it." - Colleague. That was because my male colleague had not gotten it to work.
"There is a huge difference between my son and my daughter. I feel that I must have done something really pious in my previous birth to have such a loving daughter." - Friend
"I married a guy staying in US. I thought since he already manages on his own in the US, he will do the chores after the wedding too. Ever since we got married, I am the only one who's done all the cooking." Kahaani ghar ghar ki.
"A lot of jobs in Networking are not suitable for women. It requires lifting heavy equipment, and going to different locations." - A woman friend who is currently job searching in Networking.
And the cherry on top of these pearls of wisdom:
"ata ti kahitari faltu vichar kartiye, kachrapatti blog lihayla" - the husband
I see no hope for the betterment of the society.
I saw a meme on Facebook that says: Kids take girls out on dates, men take women out on coffee. Legends say: Bai vadyavar ya. Aka legends "invite" women in their playroom. The meme was complete with the photo of a person who regularly portrays villainous roles in Marathi movies. There were several likes and shares on the meme, and somehow nobody paused to think about the sexually abusive overtones of the meme.
"Girls flirt with the guys in their team and that's how they get their workshop tasks done in the first year of Engineering." - Classmate at University of Florida. When I told him I studied in an all-girls college, he concluded that we must be flirting with the workshop assistants.
"These days (insert the name of some MNC here) is doing a lot of diversity hires. You should get in easily." - Friend
"All women are horrible coders. If you feel women are equally good, yet get paid lesser than their male counterparts, then why is there no company who hires only women coders, save on salaries, and still be successful." - Friend, whose wife did her Masters in one of the top 5 Universities for Computer Science in USA.
"But (insert the name of my male colleague here), had already gotten this to work, why are you still working on it." - Colleague. That was because my male colleague had not gotten it to work.
"There is a huge difference between my son and my daughter. I feel that I must have done something really pious in my previous birth to have such a loving daughter." - Friend
"I married a guy staying in US. I thought since he already manages on his own in the US, he will do the chores after the wedding too. Ever since we got married, I am the only one who's done all the cooking." Kahaani ghar ghar ki.
"A lot of jobs in Networking are not suitable for women. It requires lifting heavy equipment, and going to different locations." - A woman friend who is currently job searching in Networking.
And the cherry on top of these pearls of wisdom:
"ata ti kahitari faltu vichar kartiye, kachrapatti blog lihayla" - the husband
I see no hope for the betterment of the society.
No comments:
Post a Comment