J interned with my company at Melbourne. I visited her in San Diego during another internship.
The day I visited her, her company had an intern event to learn surfing. After spending 4 years at Florida, and 2 of them 4 miles away from the ocean, I am very sad to say that I never surfed in Florida. To be honest I was scared off by the shark attack statistics. The ocean water at the West coast of the US a way colder than the water at East coast. But water at San Diego is warmer than the ocean water at Bay Area beaches, plus there are very few instances of shark attacks off the west coast. So I jumped at the opportunity, and signed up for the surfing lessons. Inspite of me knowing how to swim, J fared better at the lessons than me.
Post surfing lessons, we checked out other beautiful beaches at San Diego, beautiful locales like the La Jolla coves, and an exceedingly beautiful sunset.
We also went for tandem paragliding. I had a lot of internal debate since it was kind of expensive. Finally I made up my mind about going for it, also invited couple other friends to join me at the paragliding school. When we went there we were told that we probably couldnt get to fly because the wind wasnt too strong. Our only redeeming feature was that we all were quite light in weight then, so the instructor told us to hang around a bit. He said if the wind picked up for us to go up but wasnt enough to come down, then we would be landing at the beach and making the hike up with the parachute. Thankfully the wind picked up, and we got to go up and fly. The instructor let me handle the ropes for a bit. While coming down, the instructor asked me to stick out my legs so that we can land safely and the instructor can land running without tripping over my legs. However in the heat of the moment I could not pick up my legs high enough and nearly broke the legs of my poor instructor. Turns out being light in weight is no excuse for not heeding to instructions. Thanks God he was ok!
One memorable incident from this trip is J, J's roommate who is also from Pune and I went to an Himalayan restaurant. J asked for their spiciest dish, and found it to be not as spicy as she expected. (J is not an Indian, and I was surprised she could handle the spice.) The server brought out a few drops of a chutney-like thing which was the spiciest thing in their kitchen. J handled it with aplomb, much to the surprise of the server and her Indian friends.
No comments:
Post a Comment