Soon after I came to the US for my Masters program, Reno and Tahoe were toolsets of a software called simplescalar. I tested some supercomputing algorithms using Simplescalar. Few years down the line, once in Cali, they became places for a weekend getaway.
My friends from Melbourne were visiting Cali, and we decided to go skiing at mountain resorts in Tahoe followed by a stay at Reno. Lake Tahoe forms a fluid boundary between California and Nevada. Surrounded by tall mountains, the Lake provides a picturesque setting with snow capped mountains and a lake so large that the water isn't frozen inspite of the chill.
Reno has an international airport too. I suggested that my friend fly into Reno airport, but we had a to and fro roadtrip from bay area. Travelling in winter meant a possibility of requiring snow chains for the car. None of us really had any experience of putting a snow chain, but thankfully we didnt need it on the trip.
We had a ski lesson, which started off without us. But we managed, and I even had a ride up the lift and a tumble down with the ski whacking my nose. Our tryst with the slot machines/ blackjack at Reno wasn't very successful either, but my friend theorized that one needs to bet big to win big. We stopped on our way back to meet few more pals at Folsom. All in all, all the trappings of a good weekend outing - adventures, misadventures and friends.
No comments:
Post a Comment