As a kid, my playmate gang always thought that we all have a "langdi" foot, the stronger of the 2 feet, on which if we play langdi its faster and better.
Its been a while since I last played langdi. I had even forgotten which one is my langdi foot. Recently I am teaching self skateboarding. I discovered that I can balance myself much better when my left foot is on the board n I am propelling myself with the right foot. Now that I think of it, probably left foot was my langdi foot!
Apart from learning to skateboard, I also learnt about some more gender-conceptions. When I went to Walmart to buy the skateboard, the guy, though very helpful, said, "but girls dont do skateboarding!" I said - well I will. Then he said that girls dont like skinning their elbows and knees. I dont like it either, but I dont mind skinning them once in a while. While I was practicing in my apartment complex, I did hear "are! yeh to ladki hai!" from ladies strolling with toddlers. And yes, there was whistling too, because apparently no other Indian girl makes her presence felt on the apartment complex road. Demurely in wraps shut inside the apartment?? In your dreams!!
I had no say in the state of affairs when my teachers taught me writing. But this time I am going to make sure that I can balance myself on the board equally well on either foot.. ambidextrous! Call it putting my best feet forward :)
Its been a while since I last played langdi. I had even forgotten which one is my langdi foot. Recently I am teaching self skateboarding. I discovered that I can balance myself much better when my left foot is on the board n I am propelling myself with the right foot. Now that I think of it, probably left foot was my langdi foot!
Apart from learning to skateboard, I also learnt about some more gender-conceptions. When I went to Walmart to buy the skateboard, the guy, though very helpful, said, "but girls dont do skateboarding!" I said - well I will. Then he said that girls dont like skinning their elbows and knees. I dont like it either, but I dont mind skinning them once in a while. While I was practicing in my apartment complex, I did hear "are! yeh to ladki hai!" from ladies strolling with toddlers. And yes, there was whistling too, because apparently no other Indian girl makes her presence felt on the apartment complex road. Demurely in wraps shut inside the apartment?? In your dreams!!
I had no say in the state of affairs when my teachers taught me writing. But this time I am going to make sure that I can balance myself on the board equally well on either foot.. ambidextrous! Call it putting my best feet forward :)
No comments:
Post a Comment