Saturday, March 23, 2013

As my N 3110 moves on..

As I get ready to discard my N 3110 in favour of something smart, cant help reminiscing about it..

Everyone I knew was pretty clumsy about their phones. I once dropped my phone from the 1st floor of my college building, it yet stayed intact. I simply loved my phone! After nearly 5 years of use/ abuse, of which 2 years were spent with texting and calling every other second, my phone battery still performs reliably.

Naturally when I now transition to a smartphone, my first choice was N L 920. More so after reading that it has the best camera amongst all other smartphones. Owing to my US stay with its online shopping culture, I now tend to buy things only after reading its reviews. I was sure there were several loyal fans out there who will have used other smartphones too, and give me a balanced feedback.

Whichever keyword I entered, all screamed of the same thing - battery sucks. Everyone had a problem in their 1st week, which was thanks to some apps being ON and continuously syncing for updates. Morever, it used a different Li-PO battery rather than the standard battery everyone now knows how to use. While some users hoped that the problem solves itself over a few charge cycles, others had already drained their batteries below its saving grace voltage. Plus with non-removable battery, there was nothing anyone could do.

I tried to recall my 1st days with my N 3110. I guess the default setting was that bluetooth is on. But when I had bought the phone, everyone else had already told me of the problem, and I knew that I needed to switch bluetooth off as soon as I lay my hands on my just-out-of-the-box phone. 
In the L's case, it was not so easy. There were so many things that needed to be turned off - WiFi, 3G, LTE, this app, that app, mail sync and what not. Morever according to the reviews, closing an app running in the background was not so easy.

Had they not tested their phone before launching it? If the battery needed a different procedure than normal, why wasn't there any user guide accompanying the phone? When the phone was supposed to be its last straw, why couldn't they make something so perfect? 

About OS: if a group of E&TC bachelor students can come up with an miniature OS in 4 months of their last semester, I am sure dedicated coders could have done a much better job! When I finally scratched NL off the list, androids werent problem free either. One phone's reviews said that the UI layer above the android messed up everything.

You know why those E&TC grads could come up with the miniature OS? Because they started from scratch, and added whatever was needed. More so, they implemented the simplest thing that still did the job! And with only a single phone-maker who followed this strategy, I guess the choice is clear!

No comments:

Post a Comment