Thursday, March 14, 2013

India Diary: Stray Dogs

Living away from India hides you from a horror story lurking round the corner.

My best friend is a huge fan of dogs - though once she has been bitten by a pup she was so lovingly trying to feed. The other day she visited me, and for some reason our conversation turned to how to not panic around dogs. The next day, I was returning from my Pune shopping at around 3 pm. About 5-6 stray dogs who while away in my parking lot suddenly encircled me and started barking.

There is nothing you can do.. you cannot run - because a dog can outrun you. You cannot yell for your mom 2 floors above the scene, because it will only reflect you're scared. I tried baby talking, as my friend had suggested - which dint help.

Finally after barking at me for about 5 minutes, the dogs got bored of me, and ran out. Now that I could look around, I saw our neighbour's maid standing at the gate and literally enjoying the scene. There is a building being constructed right in front of my apartment, but no mason from the site felt any necessity to aid me.

I can draw only 2 conclusions from this - dogs rule Pune street, and incidents like this happen so frequently that no one cares about the poor human. Or people have become so indifferent. Either ways.. a big shocker during my goody-goody stay in India.

No comments:

Post a Comment