Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Getting hang of Android

After using iphone for 2+ years, I finally switched to Android. Here's my review. The best thing about Android is that everything one frequetly uses (read Google Maps, Gmail, youtube, Hangout) is already present on the phone. All I needed was Hangouts dialler to make calls to India, and Whatsapp and the new phone was good to go.
1. Ease of using camera: With iphone you can use +/- buttons to click a pic. I couldn't with Android. Front/ back camera selection needed to go through 2 steps. My biggest issue with this phone is I cannot access camera directly from the lock screen if I have a password lock. All of these could be a phone thing, but its something you will miss after getting used to iphone. 
2. No Back button on Chrome tab, you have to use back button on the phone. On iphone I can only open 8 tabs simultaneously, on Android I could open 10 (maybe more but havent tried it yet).
3. I couldn't send text message from my call logs.
4. Easier to turn on Cellular data.
5. Surprisingly Google maps was way off. Turns out that I need to turn on inbuilt GPS app for it to be more accurate. Never ever faced this issue with apple even though G-Map was a non-native app.
6. Choosing "Silent profile" is easier with iphone. Again this could be a phone thing. 
7. The best thing about Android phone, hands down, is the universal charger. I found the charging port much smaller than my old 4S, so actually I am a little worried about how well its going to hold up. But hopefully, there should be accessories to address this. A friend uses one called ibattz mojo for 4S, and I hope there's a similar product for Android phones too.
8. Clearing call logs is also a 2-click process. In the meantime my apologies to all the people I pocket dialled while still learning to operate the phone. 

Now that I am looking at a new phone, I have some gripes about both the OS's. The only time I really need to go to settings is to turn Wifi on/ off. Its a 2 step process for a simple thing.  My biggest issue is with the Google maps. My phone keeps telling me that the Maps will be more accurate if I am using Wifi. The ONLY reason one uses Maps on a phone is mobility. Where is the wifi going to come from if you are on the move? Or does the map coder expect that the user will turn on both Cellular Data and Wifi and drain the battery faster? Coders please get your act together.

No comments:

Post a Comment