Pre-script: I took 8GB worth of photos (basically filled up iphone's memory card) in this trip. You have been warned about the length of this plog.
Though India has an Autumn season, I haven't seen leaves turning red during my stay in India. During my last Fall colours trip to Colorado, PB raved about Vermont Fall colours, he advertised that even the grass turns red in Vermont. So this fall, when I had to choose between Colorado, Blue Ridge Parkway or New England, I chose New England. A week was spent in mad planning about what hikes to go to, what routes to take etc. The earlier plan was to do a roundtrip from Boston. A friend from FC, AL studies in Penn State and said while Boston is too far for her to join, she can join me in the NYC area. Thankfully my ticket was via NYC and I decided to ditch the NYC to Boston part of the ticket and rent the car from NYC instead.
Day1:
I Love NYwebsite predicted peak fall colours in
Catskills and Delaware water gap area. AL and I decided that we will hike in Hudson Valley area, and then I can proceed to Catskills, and she can catch the metro back to NYC. I chose Bear Mountain area, and Anthony's nose hike based upon Bing's cover photo of Fall colours seen from Bear Mountain. AL had prints of the directions to the trailhead and description of the hike, both of which were very useful. She also had thoughtfully packed sandwiches from home.
 |
| Bear Mountain and Hudson River as seen from Anthony's Nose trail |
 |
| Bridge on Hudson River at Beacon, NY |
 |
| First hint of Fall colours after crossing Hudson River |
I carried on alongside the Hudson till Beacon, crossed over the Beacon bridge to join the freeway to go to Catskills. The plan was to take the ski ride at Hunterr Mountain, see the Kaaterskill falls and proceed to Albany. But it was already sunset by the time I reached near the Katskills. Except for the extreme traffic in NYC and a minor fall over a smooth rock at Kaaterskills the day went hitch-free.
I met an elderly couple from Long Island while I was walking from the Kaaterskills parking to the falls. They thought I was going to hike up the falls and they basically freaked out because it was well past sunset. They waited at the parking till I came back to make sure I was safe. Kudos guys (I should have noted your names but I forgot them :( )
 |
| Day2: Somewhere in Troy, NY |
 |
| Road through Green Mountain National Forest, VT |
 |
| had to stop to photograph this beauty |
 |
| The dogs at the farmhouse near this sign were extremely agitated as I stepped out to click the pic. I guess roadtrips are so common in the US that no one stops to click pic of entering a new state anymore!! |
 |
| Bennington Battle monument |
 |
| View from the top of the battle monument |
 |
Covered bridges are a speciality of Vermont, a bridge very close to the Bennington Battle monument
|
 |
| One of the points on Mount equinox road |
 |
| Panorama from Mount Equinox summit |
 |
| Getting little better at taking panorama |
 |
| A private house on Mount Equinox road |
 |
| The road behind the private house |
 |
| near Londonderry, VT |
 |
| A ranch near Londonderry, VT |
 |
| By now I am getting addicted of clicking a white house surrounded by Fall foliage |
 |
| A mill operating on visitor donations |
Day2: Overpriced side trip to Mount Equinox. The road was very steep, wonder how driving in Spiti would be like!! A ski lift at Londonderry which I didnt stop at. The famed Vermont route 100. Another side trip to another ski area which appeared closed. Post sunset meandering over super windy roads. Scary but I survived!! Too tired for Day 3, might need a vacation from this vacation.
Day3: Tired, but excited to see the Kancamagus highway. Stop1 at Franconia State park, and ride to the top in aerial tram. Resplendent fall colors at Flume Gorge parking, but by that time I was running late and had to skip the Gorge. Driving from Lincoln NH to Conway NH on the Kancamagus highway. Mapquest takes me through another scenic road to get to jam packed I95. My approximate
map.
 |
| I was nearly regretting driving all the way to Franconia when I saw this, and this considerably brightened my mood |
 |
| Another mill on the river |
 |
| The aforementioned stream |
 |
| The 2 mountains between which the Franconia notch exists |
 |
| The view from the aerial tramway |
 |
| The mountains awashed in colors and the freeway I-93 |
 |
| Panorama from Cannon Mt |
 |
| The aerial tram atop Cannon Mt |
 |
| The Basin, Franconia Notch State Park |
 |
| Parking lot for Flume Gorge |
 |
| Parking lot for Flume Gorge 2 |
 |
| On the short trail to the bridge |
 |
| Playing music to the winds |
 |
| Sabbaday falls picnic area |
 |
| A piece of paradise on route 153 |
Post script/ Observations/ Conclusions: The fall colors photos you see on the internet are most likely photoshopped. Or people just take photo of leaves from one brightly coloured tree. Colours pop out more when there's sun shining bright and clear. One more thing off the bucket list.
No comments:
Post a Comment