I had a 3 hour layover in Atlanta..i decided to put it to good use..
5 am in West Coast: My friend offered to call up his friend who has a bike. I texted my ex-roommate.
1.50 pm in East Coast: I reach Atlanta. My roommate doesnt have a car, and stays about 1 hr away from airport. But she searches for places to visit around the airport and asks me to check out a temple 7 miles away. But it is not well connected by public transport. Otherwise there is an Aquarium and a Coke factory to check out.
1.50 to 2 pm: My friend suggests to check out the Coke factory. I remember seeing pics on FB. So I think it might be a worthwhile tourist spot. I ask around at the airport.. some airport officials tell me to get down at the 5 point station. There are track repairs in progress, and the train at the station will be running late. I call up my friend for map support.
3 pm: My friend directs me over the phone, and I reach the Coke factory. It is a serious waste of time and money. All fizz and no substance.. A secret formula my foot! My friend has contacted his friend, who will drop me to the airport.
4.30 pm: My friend's friend arrives on a super-cool bike. He got a helmet and sunglasses for me.. with a comment that with the sunglasses on I will have my eyes open. My 1st bike ride in the US. Also one after 19 months. I am super excited. I ask him to ignore if I scream.
But an excited giggle is all that I can manage for the first few minutes. We near the Expressway and the adventure begins. He accelerates..its enthralling..its speedy.. I see the dashboard flashing 96 mph before the sunglasses fly off and the helmet is thrust backwards. I now hold the helmet with one hand and steady myself with the other. A rush of adrenaline. I can feel my knees gripping the bike hard.
I reach the airport in the nick of time, and break into a sprint as fast as my shaking legs can manage. At the gate just when the Delta lady is about to call out my name.
Time of my life!
5 am in West Coast: My friend offered to call up his friend who has a bike. I texted my ex-roommate.
1.50 pm in East Coast: I reach Atlanta. My roommate doesnt have a car, and stays about 1 hr away from airport. But she searches for places to visit around the airport and asks me to check out a temple 7 miles away. But it is not well connected by public transport. Otherwise there is an Aquarium and a Coke factory to check out.
1.50 to 2 pm: My friend suggests to check out the Coke factory. I remember seeing pics on FB. So I think it might be a worthwhile tourist spot. I ask around at the airport.. some airport officials tell me to get down at the 5 point station. There are track repairs in progress, and the train at the station will be running late. I call up my friend for map support.
3 pm: My friend directs me over the phone, and I reach the Coke factory. It is a serious waste of time and money. All fizz and no substance.. A secret formula my foot! My friend has contacted his friend, who will drop me to the airport.
4.30 pm: My friend's friend arrives on a super-cool bike. He got a helmet and sunglasses for me.. with a comment that with the sunglasses on I will have my eyes open. My 1st bike ride in the US. Also one after 19 months. I am super excited. I ask him to ignore if I scream.
But an excited giggle is all that I can manage for the first few minutes. We near the Expressway and the adventure begins. He accelerates..its enthralling..its speedy.. I see the dashboard flashing 96 mph before the sunglasses fly off and the helmet is thrust backwards. I now hold the helmet with one hand and steady myself with the other. A rush of adrenaline. I can feel my knees gripping the bike hard.
I reach the airport in the nick of time, and break into a sprint as fast as my shaking legs can manage. At the gate just when the Delta lady is about to call out my name.
Time of my life!
No comments:
Post a Comment