In India, nearly all heritage sites are spoilt by crazy people who carve their names on the beautiful treasure. Reason? They think that by doing this, a part of them, their identity, will stay alive forever.
My friend tagged her friend, an army man, who had recently died, in a Facebook post as an ode.
There was a very close-knit group of 4 girls in Ferguson. They were friends since school, always hanged out together, and couldn't just imagine themselves sans any member. Once, when I called one of them after college days, she told me that one of the friends, Aditee had died recently of typhoid. I was very upset, and was thinking about the group whole day. Those were the days when Orkut had just gained a foothold amongst youth. At night, I smsed my friend that why dont we keep Aditee's Orkut page alive, and write a scrap to her page every time we miss her.
One of my friends in Cummins was the year-wise Sports Secretary. I was very keen about a very difficult and trying night trek, Enduro-3 K2S. I was told that an all-girls group had completed the trek last year, and one of them was Sonal Argade, another Sports Secretary. I just met her once, and I was very impressed about her zeal for life and enthusiasm about sports in general. A few months later, I came to know that Sonal had died during a trek in the Himalayas. Just meeting her once had created such a lasting memory, it struck me, that a person stays forever in the memories of friends.
Quoting 'Columbus'ache garvageet,
"kotyavadhee jagataat jivaanoo jagatee an maratee
jashee tee gavataachee paatee,
naavik aamhi parantu firato saat nabhaan khaalee
nirmito nav kshitije pudhatee! "
Let the will to be immortal not be destructive for some beautiful monument, rather be an inspiration for one and all, to create something unique, to leave back a legacy that no one will ever forget.
![]() |
| Oh, by the way, carving your name on something seems to be an universal phenomena, I saw this inside University of California, Berkeley. I seriously used to think intellectuals are sane ! |
There was a very close-knit group of 4 girls in Ferguson. They were friends since school, always hanged out together, and couldn't just imagine themselves sans any member. Once, when I called one of them after college days, she told me that one of the friends, Aditee had died recently of typhoid. I was very upset, and was thinking about the group whole day. Those were the days when Orkut had just gained a foothold amongst youth. At night, I smsed my friend that why dont we keep Aditee's Orkut page alive, and write a scrap to her page every time we miss her.
One of my friends in Cummins was the year-wise Sports Secretary. I was very keen about a very difficult and trying night trek, Enduro-3 K2S. I was told that an all-girls group had completed the trek last year, and one of them was Sonal Argade, another Sports Secretary. I just met her once, and I was very impressed about her zeal for life and enthusiasm about sports in general. A few months later, I came to know that Sonal had died during a trek in the Himalayas. Just meeting her once had created such a lasting memory, it struck me, that a person stays forever in the memories of friends.
Quoting 'Columbus'ache garvageet,
"kotyavadhee jagataat jivaanoo jagatee an maratee
jashee tee gavataachee paatee,
naavik aamhi parantu firato saat nabhaan khaalee
nirmito nav kshitije pudhatee! "
Let the will to be immortal not be destructive for some beautiful monument, rather be an inspiration for one and all, to create something unique, to leave back a legacy that no one will ever forget.

No comments:
Post a Comment