Sunday, October 16, 2011

The other side..and the greener grass

Master's is more about smarter than harder work. For my latest assignment, I am supposed to run 5 benchmarks. For each benchmarks I have to vary parameters of my Embedded Computing resource. I get 54 such combinations. I have to run these 54*5 simulations on a simulator. Hello!! am I working harder here?

Isnt this the same software that gave me positive results last year? Yeah right (the need for a sarcasm smiley/ sarcasm font accentuated).. its also the same software that kept me awake several nights to give me those same positive results. This time, it wasnt me who suffered the intense physical and emotional torture of staying up nights, alone at the university. I attribute my blissful zz's to that wonderful creation of mankind.. Linux and scripting languages.

Gone are the days when I complained why couldnt they have a GUI-based Linux. In fact the die-hard Windows fan in me cribbed why they have Linux in the first place! Its cooler just running a script..whilst you while away time on productive stuff like hanging out with friends (Antithesis, I call it :) ) Its even cooler to just install whichever softwares you need on the GRID, and "ssh" in from anywhere in the world, work from any PC in the universe.
Down the memory lane..when I was tied to Windows without grids..and spent half of productive lab time waiting for resources/ installing things on whichever PC that was not taken by other students. Scary memories of the project group whose PC with required stuff was not available on the day of their final project demo!

Sometimes in life, we are not ready to face the change. Even worse, we are downright scared of the change. We need to widen our perception just a tiny bit to notice that the other side is greener..and not crib about that leap out of our comfort zones. We simply need to trust our capabilities, take the leap and safely land on the OTHER SIDE :)

No comments:

Post a Comment