Saw the movie "Two Brothers" yesterday. I was very upset by the cruelty to animals portrayed, just so that they could train animals for circus, or for a warped sport of seeing tigers wrestle. Thank god the movie had a happy ending! My friend mentioned that most tigers in India are killed for Chinese medicines! My surfing also led me to articles about rhinos being poached for their horn. Even when it is common knowledge that the horn is chemically same as human hair/ nail.
The comments in the articles said that the Chinese system has already started doing off with animal parts, but the real threat to the animals is from magnates who wish to have their hunting trophies. May I add, the threat to some other animals is from beauties who are too vain, and men who are too lustful to age gracefully. Or due to some scientists/ pharma companies who cant come to terms with the fact that one cant wish away death and diseases.
And last but not the least, due to those meat-lovers who think anything that moves is food. (These were the exact words my well-educated school friend, who should be aware of the dangers of extinction, had said when she was bragging about some exotic meat she had had.) More recently, I attended some Outdoor Activity groups meeting, wherein they planned a State Forest jaunt, and also wished to hunt something . A girl asked, arent they endangered! The guy replied..they are tasty too :( . Another girl joked about the animals in her refrigerator, thanks to her roommate's ranger boyfriend. Dont understand people who step out for a outdoor activity, and return making the place filthier and devoid of some life. And yes, I cant understand the psyche of my friends back home too, who wished to have a bonfire, just for the heck of it, at one of the most pristine beaches in Maharashtra. Yeah Tan, I remember your justification of the bonfire..but we were in a private bungalow locality, there were no wild animals around, it was a pleasantly cool March night, and a bunch of friends can chat away through the night even without a bonfire. I dont ask to curb the tourism, or medical research, or a vegan proselytism..all I ask is to try not to further aggravate the harm already done.
The comments in the articles said that the Chinese system has already started doing off with animal parts, but the real threat to the animals is from magnates who wish to have their hunting trophies. May I add, the threat to some other animals is from beauties who are too vain, and men who are too lustful to age gracefully. Or due to some scientists/ pharma companies who cant come to terms with the fact that one cant wish away death and diseases.
And last but not the least, due to those meat-lovers who think anything that moves is food. (These were the exact words my well-educated school friend, who should be aware of the dangers of extinction, had said when she was bragging about some exotic meat she had had.) More recently, I attended some Outdoor Activity groups meeting, wherein they planned a State Forest jaunt, and also wished to hunt something . A girl asked, arent they endangered! The guy replied..they are tasty too :( . Another girl joked about the animals in her refrigerator, thanks to her roommate's ranger boyfriend. Dont understand people who step out for a outdoor activity, and return making the place filthier and devoid of some life. And yes, I cant understand the psyche of my friends back home too, who wished to have a bonfire, just for the heck of it, at one of the most pristine beaches in Maharashtra. Yeah Tan, I remember your justification of the bonfire..but we were in a private bungalow locality, there were no wild animals around, it was a pleasantly cool March night, and a bunch of friends can chat away through the night even without a bonfire. I dont ask to curb the tourism, or medical research, or a vegan proselytism..all I ask is to try not to further aggravate the harm already done.
No comments:
Post a Comment