Saturday, March 16, 2013

Celebretory bartender

So its the Saint Patric's day tomorrow, and ever since I tasted the Virgin Mango Mo"h"ito at Chicago Signature Lounge, I cannot get that taste out of my system. Since then, I have had the drink at Carabbas, but there sure was something signatory about the Chicago one. It was my special wish for my b'day. But a restaurant called "Mango Mango" in St Augustine flatly refused to make a mojito, saying that they dont stock the mojito mix anymore. Jilted anger, plus high on a seemingly simple recipe = .my takes at the homemade version. (Background score: निम्म्या किमतीत पापड करी, झकास झटपट घरच्या घरी!)

Take 1:
Goya Mango juice bottle - 1/2 l
Few mint leaves
quarter lime + loads of lemon juice
Everything blended together in  mixer. Serves 2. Tasted good.

Take 2:
Emboldened by my 1st ttempt, I tried one today.
XYZ mango juice - 1/2 l
More mint leaves than last time
Lemon
Deepika's "signature" touch: a can of Sprite to add the fizz/ emulate club soda.

Tasted awesome. Sprite literally made the lemon zing.

Some observations:
I am guessing you have to get mint extract, and not mint pulverized. Leaving mint soaked in the fizzy liquid - its acid might draw out minty extracts.

Take 3:
A quarter glass Sprite + quarter glass ice / cold water - pestle mint and lemon into Sprite. Top off the remaining half a glass with mango juice.
Result: tasting awesome again, but mint flavour dint really seep into the drink.  My granny has a "yantra" to squeeze lemon juice. Looks like I should import one of these for the mint extract. Or contend with "pudin hara". Or throw up my hands in air like Mango Mango, and say that I dont have the mint mix.

Happy realization: bartending is probably not as easy as throwing in a couple of "punches".

P.S: Sometimes I really wonder whats so special about -OH, that people want it inspite of headaches and throwing up next day. I wonder about this even more since I discovered that cocktails can be made "virgin" and taste as good nonetheless. Apparantly people socialize better with -OH. Yeah right! Its all in the state of mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment