When I went for my F1 visa, we had a google group where everyone had posted their visa interview experience. This time as a work visa interviewee, there was no such support system. So here's my "been there, done that". Hope it helps someone.
1. Photo: You do not need any hard-copy photo. You do need a soft copy though. The visa application website provides a tool to get a photo of correct dimensions etc.
Both CVS and Walgreens said that they only give hard copy of the photo. Sure, there is a scanner, but I paid a dollar or two extra at Walmart to get the softcopy on a CD.
2. Home Address: I used my India address , and not the US one. Once you get the visa, the passport will be mailed to this address, and hence it is essential that this be an Indian address. (My passport was mailed to the local passport centre, but there is a way you can pay 300 Rs after the VI and get the passport delivered to the home address.) The US one did feature on the application as the address where I intend to stay in the US.
3. Previous Work exp: I listed my volunteer work with my Professor too, as I think it is updated with SEVIS by my Grad Advisor. I did mention in the job title that it was a volunteer post.
4. Visa Fees: When you come to the fee-paying step, you will get a unique number. My parents quoted the number and paid at an Axis Bank. I could book appointments the next day. (Allow some processing time.)
5. OFC appointment day 1, VI appointment day 2: i took both on consecutive days.
6. I carried docs like my Educational transcripts, etc Your company will give you a comprehensive list. But in reality only I797 and passport is needed. Out of the 20-30 people who had their VI's with me, only one was asked to show his transcripts.
This is a questionnaire based on mine + other people's VI:
1. Which company, which location, nature of work, how much you earn.
If your company is in India: how long are you working with them, etc.
2. Are you single.
Spouse's work details.
Carry a good wedding picture, must include some ceremonies like a photo of walking around the fire, a photo of the guests. Please have good quality photographs with you.
Accurate info. of kids' birthdates, wedding date etc.
3. Previous visa details: Which University for Higher Education etc
4. Which other countries have you visited.
My passport was couriered to the facility in Pune. You need an Indian identity proof + its photocopy to get the passport.
Best Luck!
1. Photo: You do not need any hard-copy photo. You do need a soft copy though. The visa application website provides a tool to get a photo of correct dimensions etc.
Both CVS and Walgreens said that they only give hard copy of the photo. Sure, there is a scanner, but I paid a dollar or two extra at Walmart to get the softcopy on a CD.
2. Home Address: I used my India address , and not the US one. Once you get the visa, the passport will be mailed to this address, and hence it is essential that this be an Indian address. (My passport was mailed to the local passport centre, but there is a way you can pay 300 Rs after the VI and get the passport delivered to the home address.) The US one did feature on the application as the address where I intend to stay in the US.
3. Previous Work exp: I listed my volunteer work with my Professor too, as I think it is updated with SEVIS by my Grad Advisor. I did mention in the job title that it was a volunteer post.
4. Visa Fees: When you come to the fee-paying step, you will get a unique number. My parents quoted the number and paid at an Axis Bank. I could book appointments the next day. (Allow some processing time.)
5. OFC appointment day 1, VI appointment day 2: i took both on consecutive days.
6. I carried docs like my Educational transcripts, etc Your company will give you a comprehensive list. But in reality only I797 and passport is needed. Out of the 20-30 people who had their VI's with me, only one was asked to show his transcripts.
This is a questionnaire based on mine + other people's VI:
1. Which company, which location, nature of work, how much you earn.
If your company is in India: how long are you working with them, etc.
2. Are you single.
Spouse's work details.
Carry a good wedding picture, must include some ceremonies like a photo of walking around the fire, a photo of the guests. Please have good quality photographs with you.
Accurate info. of kids' birthdates, wedding date etc.
3. Previous visa details: Which University for Higher Education etc
4. Which other countries have you visited.
My passport was couriered to the facility in Pune. You need an Indian identity proof + its photocopy to get the passport.
Best Luck!
No comments:
Post a Comment