Monday, July 25, 2011

A Dialogue with art

I love art n works of art. You meet an art work down the lane, look at it without any prejudices, it smiles back at you, and thus the conversation begins. Each person sees a different aspect of its personality.
I was fortunate enough to visit museums in San Francisco and Dallas. My friends are museumophobic and preferred to watch a goody goody bollywood movie. I set out on my own to the museums, later joined by a couple of friends and a bunch of other interns. My friends definitely dont know what they missed. :)

The 1st museum I visited was Nasher museum. My personal conversation starts here. While others entered a room full of balloons, I spent time trying to figure out what's written on this (classic example of characteristics of Dan Brown fan)   

Plytanuum..ok who cares about the spelling :P
While I was exiting Nasher museum, a fountain mesmerized me, and here comes a chance discovery of Crow Museum of Asian Art. The museum had a loaner collection of Tibetan art from NY's Rubin Museum. I have never seen more vivacious yet enigmatic artworks before. Since it was a loaner display, photography was not allowed.

My tryst with Tibetan art started with this- http://teachartwiki.wikispaces.com/My+Identity+-+Gonkar+Gyatso.
The peaceful environs of prayer room, complete with flowers, an artist who tries to keep up with the world in changing times- the wall is now plastered with newspapers, Tibetans period of exile subtly hinted at by the use of suitcase as prop and a tin shed as studio, and finally an artist who embraced his new world, as suggested by the gladioli which look strikingly like 2 hands..

The next was a winding maze of houses with chinese flag at the top of the highest point. Dont give up your sovereignity so easily dear Tibetans..what is rightfully yours should not be given up so easily..

There were some collages..1 had buddha's skin made out of map of USA and background from newspaper ads; 1 was made out of stickers.. http://asianart.com/exhibitions/aalondon2007/48.html, others had very intricate clothing made out of real fibres, 1 depicted Ann San Syu Ki as Green Tara.

Compared to this vibrant and innovative Tibetan art, collections from India and china were pretty stereotypical. Oh by the way, how come these masterpieces from India are lying abroad? No issues, our politicians have no qualms about exporting India's national heritage, nor do we Indians bother to do any background search about our leaders. http://janataparty.org/soniaisthemodern.html 

My 3rd visit of the day was to Dallas Museum of Art- which housed Native American artefacts, arts from ancient civilizations etc. Returned with 3 GB pics, many ideas, and most imp.- the satisfaction of a day well spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment